The cold and flu season is back with a vengeance and now is the time to stop it in its tracks. Keep reading to discover how to fight back and give your immune system an incredible boost at the same time!
Causes of low immunity:
- Diets high in saturated or hydrogenated fat
- High sugary foods (4 grams of sugar is the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of sugar lowers the immune system for 5 hours)
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Poor gut flora aka the "good bacteria" in the gut
- Lack of fruit and vegetables
- Lack of essential fatty acids such as fish and flax seeds
- Excessive alcohol, drugs or smoking
- Chemical pollutants
- Lack of sleep
Symptoms of low immunity:
- Allergies and food sensitivities
- Feeling very tired all the time
- Frequent colds or flu's
- Sore throats
- Swollen glands
- Aching muscles
Top ten immune boosting tips:
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Good sources include carrots, beetroot, sweet potatoes, garlic, onions, sprouts, tomatoes and broccoli plus watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Eat what you can raw, and lightly steam the rest.
- Ensure your diet is high in quality protein such as organic chicken, wild fish, quinoa, organic free range eggs, legumes or tofu. The body needs more protein when it is under attack.
- Eat essential fats in the form of oily fish such as salmon, trout, and tuna. Try raw nuts and seeds as a snack as these fats are essential for boosting immune function. Use organic coconut oil for cooking.
- Consume whole grains in the diet such as brown rice, oats, buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, and millet.
- Eat freshly-made soups loaded with veggies, garlic and onions. They are easy to digest and contain an abundance of nutrients and immune boosters.
- Try fresh vegetable juices such as carrot, apple and ginger. These provide a powerhouse of vitamins A and C which are key for nourishing the immune system.
- Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates such as white bread, biscuits, cakes, and processed cookies as sugar depresses the immune system.
- Relax in an infrared sauna at least 1 time per week to greatly improve the immune function.
- Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol which deplete immune boosting nutrients and are a burden on immune function.
- Avoid all processed foods such as ready-made meals, luncheon meats and convenience foods as these are full of nutrient robbers.