A seldom discussed yet extremely important aspect of weight loss, is liver function. The liver is the chief operator of detoxification in the body. Many of our foods are laden with hidden toxins and void of nutrients. There are numerous fad diets that cause the liver to work overtime to keep up with the high fat and nutritionally void foods and weight loss gimmicks. This eventually causes the person to gain more weight in the end, as the demand on the liver is too high. Throughout this process, the liver literally becomes more and more sluggish in function and eventually becomes “fatty”. Once a liver has reached the fatty stage, the function is impaired and weight loss becomes an impossibility. The liver’s job of detoxifying blood and metabolizing fat is compromised and the metabolism greatly slows.
Symptoms of a poorly functioning liver may include:
• Low energy
• Indigestion, bloating, constipation, gas or diarrhea
• Foggy thinking
• Weight gain
• Stiff, aching, weak muscles—especially lower back and shoulders
• Altered cholesterol levels
• Blood sugar abnormalities
• Sleep disturbances
• Easy bruising
• Brittle bones
• Fluid retention
• Kidney problems
• Slow wound healing
Action Steps for Optimal Liver Health
1. Start the day with ½ lemon squeezed into 1 cup of warm water.
2. Consume half your body weight in ounces of filtered water daily.
3. Increase fiber consumption to 35 grams per day to assist in the elimination of fat soluble toxins. Choose high-fiber foods such as ground flax seeds, psyllium, apple pectin, rice bran, beet fiber, oat fiber, chia seeds and Sunfiber.
4. Consume liver cleansing foods such as beets, bitter greens, apples, lemons, garlic, onions, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, collards and cauliflower.
5. Use liver cleansing herbs such as Dandelion root, Artichoke, Milk Thistle, Burdock root and Turmeric. Try LVDTX from the online store.
6. Detox the liver with Alpha lipoic acid, Calcium D-Glucarate, NAC, Selenium, Choline and Methionine. Try BIOLIVX from the online store.
7. Drink liver detoxifying tea with dandelion root, nettle root, red clover, licorice root, burdock root and cleavers.
9. Avoid toxic foods such as sugar, processed foods, refined carbohydrates, pesticides, hydrogenated fats and artificial sugars.
10. Avoid smoking, alcohol, caffeine, pop and energy drinks.
11. Exercise regularly.